4 medium to large pears, firm but ripe
4 .T unsalted butter
¼ C. packed light or dark brown sugar
1/8 tsp. salt
¼ C. heavy cream
½ tsp. vanilla extract
Chopped walnuts or pecans
1. Preheat the oven to 375°
2. Peel the pears and halve them vertically, with a melon baller scoop out the hard core of each.
3. Melt the butter in an 8" to 10" oven proof skillet over medium heat.
4. Stir in the brown sugar and salt, then add the pears in a single layer, cut sides down. Spoon some of the butter mixture over the pears.
5. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake the pears until soft, 15 to 20 minutes, basting once with the butter mixture while they bake.
6. Remove the pears from the skillet and arrange them on a rimmed platter or in a large shallow bowl.
7. Return the skillet to the stove top and mix in the cream and vanilla. Bring to a boil and reduce by about half, until very thick, stirring and keeping a close eye on the mixture. Pour the sauce over the pears. Garnish with nuts. Serve warm.
Makes 4 or more servings.
Presented by Foxtrot Bed & Breakfast